Mashy Niblicks

When I started this blog, it contained the sum total of all the knowledge of mankind. Unfortunately, each time I add a posting, a small amount is subtracted from that sum. Oh well. Can't be helped. What-uh-ya-gonna-do? The Doctor... By the way, the following are the conventional definitions of Mash-y Nib-lick: 1) light kisses on the neck from an unwanted suitor; 2) strained peas.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Shingle Springs, CA, United States

The title "Doctor" was conferred upon me by associates who understand that I have at least some knowledge about… well… everything. My knowledge isn’t as deep though, as it is wide. I don’t know a lot about anything in particular. In fact, you could make the case that I know almost nothing about just about everything! And, I’m willing to talk about it. To anyone. Whether they’re interested or not. That's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it. I can write about philosophy because I’m a Philosopher. After considerable research, I discovered that in order to be a philosopher, one only has to place the word “Philosopher” after one’s name. That’s it. Voila, you are a bona fide philosopher. Who’s going to argue? Philosophers don’t have some magic wand or secret handshake. They just call themselves philosophers. So, should you wish to know a little – about anything – just say the word. I’ll Google that word and be able to discuss it with you ad nauseam. S. Arthur Yegge, Philosopher syegge@gmail.com

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Call 9-1-1 for that ice cream headache

So, my good friend Steve Carr, a telecommunications consultant that does work for the state, put together a 5-year strategic plan for California’s 9-1-1 Emergency Service Program.

He was telling me that the widespread use of 9-1-1 for non-emergency calls in the state is somewhere between astounding and stupefying.  That's NON-emergency calls.

People call 9-1-1 and ask, “Was that an earthquake?” or, “That fool behind the counter at Burger King screwed up my order and won’t gimme my money back. Can you send a cop to arrest him?” or, “Can you send someone to help me find my cat?”

In fact, the 9-1-1 call centers in California get 24 MILLION non-emergency calls every year! I know, think about that.  That's more than 65 thousand NON-emergency 9-1-1 calls every day!  What the hell!

But I’ve always said we don’t use enough carrot and stick regarding 9-1-1 calling. We’ve had some pretty spectacularly failed attempts at educating the public about when and when not to call. The outreach has been a joke.

But, look at the policy for bringing liquids on board an aircraft: 3-1-1 (3 ounces, 1 quart bag, 1 bag). They’ve simplified the policy to a no-brainer and then just continually drum it into our brains at airports anyway.  It's virtually impossible to NOT know the rules.

If California's Emergency Services Program Office was really prepared to simplify an outreach program, for the long haul, and then follow it up with actual fines, they could change the whole dynamic inside of a year.

Fines could be assessed as a regular part of your phone bill like a tax for non-emergency calls.  It's not like they don't know who to fine.  They've got your phone number and address.

And they should add a motto like the airports' 3-1-1 program - just to make it stick.  I'm thinking, “Don’t call and whine, or we’ll drop a dime,” or “Before you dial, bleed awhile.”

Maybe even simpler would work best.  They could comprise a little diddy that everyone could sing so they remember what is actually an emergency.  Or like a cheerleader, “H - L - B - G, Hearts, Lungs, Brains and Guns.  Nothin’ else for the 911s.  Go Team!”

Whaddaya think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home